Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Tuscany Started


This is my first time (officially) on a knitalong. I'm excited to share my project with others and to see the progress of all the other members knitting the wonderful projects from this book. As the title suggests, I'm working on Tuscany. Originally, I wanted to make this shawl using a bamboo yarn. I looked at those offered by my LYS, which were wonderful choices, but, after attempting to calculate the appropriate yardage, it was just too expensive. I'm not adverse to paying good money for good yarn, but the problem is that I'm not really sure that I'm even a shawl person. This is my second shawl and I like knitting them, but I'm not quite sure I will use them. So, I didn't want to spend that much money...yet. So, I chose an egyptian cotton. I know, not too exciting, but I love the color. It's Mandarin Petit (from Norway) in a bright spring green (using sz 6 needles). I love the other examples earlier on the blog using the seasilk and bamboo in verigated colorways (beautiful color choices!), but after seeing my start, I also like the way the mono-color emphasizes the pattern. I've decided this is my "leaving the northwest" shawl, since it reminds me of where I live right now...the color of the spring leaves. I'm moving to a much warmer and drier climate in the next 2 months, so this will be a nice reminder of my favorite time of year in the NW.

4 comments:

Holly Bee said...

It's lovely!!! You have inspired Carina and I to join the KAL as Tuscaneers!

Keep up the good work!

Amy R Singer said...

what a pretty color!

Amethyst said...

I really like that green, it's so springy.

Stitch-ay Woman said...

Love the choice of the solid color. It really shows off the pattern. Can't wait to see the FO!