Thursday, May 24, 2007

First 'Cheeky Ribbed Sock' finished

Finished my first 'Cheeky Ribbed Sock' yesterday. I'm pleased with the result and the fit on my foot (the photo shows the sock on my daughter's foot which is slightly smaller than mine, so the heel doesn't fit as well on her). The colour has come out well on the photo and shows the deep rose pink colour. I'm on my second sock now and hope to have it finished over the next few days. I like the ribbed feel of these socks so will probably knit another pair of these later in a different colour, but I will use a different pattern for turning the heel as I prefer the fit of my usual method.

I'd really like to have a go at knitting the 'River Rock Scarf' next, but I haven't knitted with beads before, so I'm a little apprehensive. I like a challenges but ... Any tips anyone?

3 comments:

Holly Bee said...

Beautiful! Love the pink!

Everytime I see something done I want to drop everything and make it too!!!

Kristina B said...

The socks are great!

I've knitted with large beads before, but not so many in quantity as in the River Rock scarf and significantly larger. It worked out fine for me... hopefully the person who knitted the beautiful RR scarf on this KAL can post a response! ;)

Stitch-ay Woman said...

I've knitted with silk and beads before, and I encountered three main problems:
1) The beads keep slipping out of place. I used a slip-stitch method of placing the beads on the knitted side of the fabric. In retrospect, I should have made twisted knit stitches on either side of the bead.
2) I was using a yarn (single spun 100% silk) that goes all tufty if you so much as look at it the wrong way. Despite precautions, stringing the beads on the yarn made the yarn all fuzzy before I even began to knit with it.
3) The yarn was also high-twist(where it gets all twisted in on itself every few rows due to the tension increasing-- like embroidery thread can do). When it got too tangly, I would wrap a band around the ball of yarn and let it dangle for a minute. This is not so hard normally, but with beads stranded on the yarn it becomes a very delicate procedure indeed.
If you are using HM Sea Silk, it shouldn't be a problem because I have used that before and know it doesn't behave like this.