Sunday, July 1, 2007

Red Alert! Error in Morrigan!

It's probably not a major red alert seeing as I'm probably one of about 10 knitters worldwide who are knitting Morrigan. (I found 3 others started on the web, I'm not the only crazy one.) BUT it is a major error.

I emailed Jenna and her entire response is below. The error is in the number of times that rows 69–76 of the Side Chart are worked.

Crap! you're right! That should have been 4 times. I checked back
through all my drafts, and I had written it as 6, (6, 8, 8, 8, 8)
throughout, but obviously the math doesn't work that way!

Because I used AppleWorks (since uninstalled and I don't know what we
did with the install disks), I can't check the spreadsheet notes to
figure out where the mistake originated... all my text notes show
that I miscounted, and evidently thought that rows 77-84 of the side
chart were only 6 rows, not 8. The tech editor must have done the
same thing, too!

So, the Side chart should indicate that the repeats of rows 69-76 are
4 (4, 5, 5, 6, 6). Here's the logic:

Total rows before bind-offs according to Chart A count: 140 (140,
156, 156, 164, 164)

Side:
4 rows of foundation pattern (chart rows 1-2)
8 rows of patt (chart rows 3-10 x 1)
32 (32, 40, 40, 40, 40) rows of rep (chart rows 11-18)
50 rows of patt (chart rows 19-68 x 1)
--at this point, we've worked 94 (94, 102, 102, 102, 102) rows; 46
(46, 54, 54, 62, 62) to go before bind-off--
32 (32, 40, 40, 48, 48) rows of rep (chart rows 69-76 x 4 (4, 5, 5,
6, 6))
8 rows of patt (chart rows 77-84 x 1)
--this adds 40 (40, 48, 48, 56, 56) rows; another 6 rows to work
following rows 85-92 as necessary--

Thinking about it, I'm positive I kept counting rows 77 to 84 as 6
rows, because I recall I thought that it would end neatly with row 84
for the smallest size, and then I must have incorporated that set of
rows into the repeat count by accident. You could, if you wished,
treat this as a 5x repeat, which means that instead of working rows
77-84 before the bind-off, you'd only work rows 77-82; on the bind-
off row, you'd integrate three double decreases. This would make the
cable pattern fill the underarm all the way up to the bind-off,
rather than leaving a 6-row gap of reverse stockinette across those 9
rows. [edit: she means "those 9 stitches"]

Well. Considering the complexity of the pattern, I'm grateful that
you found only this and that symbol in row 1 in Chart B...

Thanks for forging on ahead!
Jenna

(I'm cross-posting this here and on my blog so that I can reach as many of the crazy people as possible. Hi other crazy people!)

6 comments:

Amethyst said...

I actually DO want to make Morrigan, but I need to wait a while first. I've bought too much yarn recently to let myself get that much Calmer, and I want to do it with Calmer.

Anyway, thanks for pointing out that error! I'm going to mark it in my book.

Kate M said...

Oh, thanks. I hope to start that for real some time soon...

Kristina B said...

Thanks for the heads-up, Laura. I will be starting Morrigan at some point...have gone as far as swatching it and then buying the yarn... and any info about it I would be grateful for.

Another thing: this may seem silly - do you think it's the type of pattern that one could do 30 minutes per work a day on (even if that only yields 2 or 3 rows)? I ask only because I've got a lot of other stuff on the go and would like to start it, but right now am in the mood to work on many projects at once rather than one (especially such a complicated one)?

Karen Frisa said...

I tech edited this pattern, so wanted to comment on your post.

I assumed that Jenna's 6 (6, 8, 8, 8, 8) rep was what she wanted for the sweater. Given that, the underarm BO would begin on row 75 of the chart for all sizes. If you rep rows 69-76 4 (4, 5, 5, 6, 6) times, then the underarm BO would begin on row 91 for all sizes.

All of the st counts depend on the BO happening on row 75. Doing the st counts for this pattern was tricky because chart O gains and loses sts in its repeat, and the side chart loses sts on row 83. If you start the BO on row 91, I'm guessing that the st counts will be off for the remainder of the front and back, including the final shoulder st counts. The turning points for the short-rows at the shoulder and the number of sts to decrease at the shoulder would also be different.

I guess my point is, there are a lot of ramifications to changing the rep count for those rows.

To Jenna's credit, the handwritten side chart that she sent had rows 69-76 noted as an 8-row rep. :)

Hope this helps!

MiniLaura said...

Hi Karen!

Thank you so much for your comment. The reason why I thought there was an error (and I guess there is in Jenna's mind, but not in yours) was because the smallest size has 9 stitches BO for the underarm. Looking at the chart, there are 9 "plain" stitches after row 83 (the row with the 3 double decreases) and it seemed logical to me that those 9 stitches were the ones to be bound off.

Can you email me? I'd like to discuss this with you further after I have a chance to think through stuff. (right now I'm supposedly "at work")

I appreciate all your help!

Laura
email: MiniLaura(at)gmail(dot)com

Yarnivore said...

I just ordered some wool to make this as a christmas present for my mother (with a sadistically long headstart).
Thanks for the heads up I'll make a note to check back to the website when i start in on it.