Friday, April 27, 2007

Garter Stitch Border for Intoxicating



I'm ready to start the back of Intoxicating, and noticed that it's garter stitch border is done on smaller needles than the mosaic body. This surprised me because the front's garter stitch border was done on the same size needles as the mosaic. My garter stitch border rolled in the front, before blocking. I sent Kristi Porter an e-mail and here's her reply :


You have indeed found an error! Thanks for pointing it out.

The garter stitch should be done on the same sized needles front and back. Honestly, you can use larger or smaller without it making a huge difference -- it's a pretty small detail. So use whichever you used on the finished piece to make the unfinished piece :)
Ideally, they'd both be done on the smaller needles, but it's mostly there to prevent rolling rather than to provide any sort of fitted element.
Silk responds very well to blocking and it really makes a difference in how this top sits. I think you'll find that this will take care of the rolling.




I did block the front, done with the same needle size, and as you can see from the photo, it looks fine.



No comments: